View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2power View Post
I got to spend several hours with Skye this afternoon and boy, has there been a huge change in her! When I first arrived they had her IV locked and asked if I wanted to take her outside for a walk. As soon as she saw me she ran to me and tried to climb up onto my lap. And her little tail was wagging like crazy! Honestly, she shocked me with how well she looked compared to yesterday. We walked around the clinic a few times and she even peed for me. :-) Funny how something like that can almost make me giddy. She's got a large patch of fur shaved off her back now for her Fentanyl patch, so she looks a bit dishevelled. But she's still gorgeous in my eyes. She was also drinking water today. The vet says that if the swelling goes down some more and she starts to eat, we can take her home. Even if that is during the weekend. Oh, I can't wait to get her home. She's still getting the colloid fluid therapy, so I'm hoping that will continue to help with the edema. When I had to leave she really pulled on her lead to go with me. That was heartbreaking. :-(

Melinda, I checked the dog food and there's no problem with the expiry date. Sirius is eating the same food and he's as healthy as a horse (I wonder where that expression came from?). But it was certainly worth checking.

Rgeurts, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to recover from something like that. I do appreciate that you took so much time to offer those links. You know, I've had a nagging suspicion about the vaccine. I did a little research and read a bit about vaccinosis earlier in the week and it seems like so many of the symptoms described match closely to Skye's experience. I've discussed this with the vet twice and she feels that the time span was too great. But I just can't shake my worries, because I KNOW Skye didn't have access to anything that she could ingest. I know it. You'd have to know how our family routine goes on a daily basis to understand why I'm so certain. I will look at the links you shared to do a little more research. Thank you so much for your help.

So, all in all, it looks like Skye has turned a corner. I did pay $1000 down on her running bill today and I got a copy of the drugs she's received to date. I notice now that I made a few mistakes with drug names on my first post. I'll go back and edit it to make sure it includes accurate info.

I'm feeling so optimistic now. :-) Yay! Thank you all for being there.
I'm so glad to see there's some improvement!!
I think we can all relate to getting excited over the potty issues! I know I've sifted through my share of poos , and gotten very excited to see a firm stool

The shaved fur will grow back! Nookie looked like a patchwork quilt at one time. He was shaved on the back of his head/neck, his back from the mid section down to his tail from CSF taps, his tummy/chest from an ultrasound and both front and rear legs from IV's, having blood drawn and a transfusion.

Nookie had a lot of the same symptoms as Skye, but he also has grand mal seizures and neurolgical disorders (hyperesthesia-tactile and auditory). His belly, ears and paws were bright pink and he would go nuts scratching and biting at himself. Vaccinosis reactions can be immediate, or as long as 3 months after the vaccines are given. So 8 days is well within that time frame. Your vet may be thinking of just an immediate vaccine reaction, not Vaccinosis. In our case, he had his combo vaccine on May 18 and his first grand mal seizure on June 1 (or maybe the 2nd?). He had his Rabies and last booster on July 31 and another seizure on August 1. After that, it was a constant battle to keep him alive. He developed meningoencephalitis (most likely after his first set of puppy shots when he was with the byb... at 5 and a half to 6 weeks old ) and several other issues that he still has to this day. He will never again get another vaccine. They believe his issues are only due to Vaccinosis in part, some are most likely congenital (he came from a backyard breeder).

I hope and you can take your sweet girl home this weekend and that she makes a speedy recovery!! Bless you and your hubby for taking such good care of her

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; April 19th, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added info