Thread: Heart Murmur
View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Is a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram) an option? That could help narrow down what the nature of the murmur is and which type of medications (ie beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors, etc) would be most helpful.

Not sure about using hawthorn in dogs, but in cats there are some cautions about giving it without knowing what the specific heart condition is (HCM, DCM, RCM). Something to do with how it "strengthens" the heart muscle, which may not be what you want if the heart has a lot of thickening. Don't quote me though - definitely talk to your vet about it.

Coenzyme Q10 is something I'd recommend trying. I give it to my HCM kitty, and there are no problematic side effects. http://www.dogsincanada.com/coenzyme-q10
Hey SCM, thanks for the info. My vet and I did discuss an ECG and something we could potentially look into doing.

I'll look into the Coenzyme Q10! Thanks!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama