View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMushroom View Post
One more question, actually two, I don't feel any bumps on his skin, how likely does he have tick-borne diseases? And which tick prevention is safer and more effective? Lyme Vaccines or preventive topical drops. Thanks again!
If there are very few ticks in your area, then either of them is probably overkill, LM. However, to answer your questions, the Lyme's vaccine only protects against Lyme's (not anaplasmosis or ehrlichiosis) but won't repel ticks. The topicals will repel ticks, helping to cut down on incidence of disease. But if ticks aren't commonly found in your area, I wouldn't do either unless your dog tests positive.

As for feeling the ticks, hubby contracted anaplasmosis from a tick we never saw

Masha, the only reason I mentioned it is that rotating lameness is a classic symptom for tick-borne disease. Around here, that's the first thing they check for in such cases since it's so prevalent here.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."