Thread: Wolf Dog Breeds
View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

There are things that people need to know about all breeds and we can try to teach them. The sad truth is that there are few dogs of any breed that can actually do the work that the breed was intended to do - too many have been "watered" down to make great pets for the average family or to do well in the show ring. That is not to say that I think the show ring is a bad thing - but it really takes a very special, ethical person that wants to breed the "whole" dog - looks, temperament and proper drives to not only do well in the show ring but also to be able to compete in dog sports that show what the dog is capable of doing.

Prey drive can be translated into many things - it isn't just a desire to hunt and kill but a desire to run further, faster, a desire to learn, a desire to jump. While this behaviors aren't specifically "prey" drive, having a dog with a healthy prey drive makes it much easier to do all of these other things. Huskies and Malamutes were bred to run and pull and yes, they should have a high prey drive. I must say - in 30+ years in dogs, I don't think I have met a husky or malamute that would be capable of pulling a sled for very long or very far. Having said that, I haven't met many husky/malamute owners who would be able to handle such a dog.