View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/04/19/...s-despite-bite

The owner of the Shih Tzu that attacked and disfigured a Home Depot employee’s face says she’s contesting the fine handed down by the city because she can’t afford to pay it.

“The little bit I do have, I’ll be needing forever,” said Odette Fournier, 65, who’s retired and living on a fixed income.

On Monday she was slapped with a $610 fine and ordered to keep her 12-year-old dog, Spot, muzzled at all times in public after bylaw officers investigated last Friday’s incident.

Anne Riel’s nose was bitten by Spot while she was working as a greeter inside an east-end Home Depot store.

Fournier said Spot has never hurt anyone before.

“I don’t think it’s a vicious dog. It’s just a pure, bad incident.”

The women aren’t strangers — for at least two years, they’ve seen each other around town.

“Her daughter, Gabrielle, has petted Spot before,” said Fournier.

Fournier said she’s not the one liable.

“I’m very sorry for her, but since it did happen in Home Depot, I think the Worker’s Compensation should cover it,” said Fournier.

Home Depot has a no-pets policy posted.

Despite the signage, pets are currently allowed in-store “as long as they’re under the control of their owners,” said manager of public relations, Tiziana Baccega.

“It has become socially acceptable to have dogs in stores. We’re looking at going back to a no-pets policy.”

They’re hoping to make a decision by Friday.

As for Riel, a single mother of two, she’ll need at least three more surgeries.

She has returned to work because she can’t afford to stay home.

For now, Riel isn’t being compensated for her workplace injury.

“There’s been no discussions around that,” said Baccega.

“She’s happily returned to work. There was no medical reason why she couldn’t so she chose to come back to the store.”

Riel told the Sun she was upset by the dog’s owner nonchalance after the attack.

“She never stopped to see if I was OK,” Riel said Sunday.

But Fournier said that just isn’t true.

“I felt sorry for her. I’m a human being,” she said.

“I asked the manager, ‘how is she doing?’”

Fournier said she’s appealing the muzzle order because she can’t find one small enough for a Shih Tzu.

Riel wants Spot put down.

And the city could decide to have the dog destroyed.

“It would be hard but if that’s the decision, that’s the decision,” said Fournier.

kelly.roche@sunmedia.ca
I'm going to pipe in with my

First dog shouldn'thave been in store. Greeter should of told lady to take the dog outside. Store should of enforced the no dog policy.

And the thing that really ticks me off? The fact that the owner of the dog,,,will fight for not having to pay the fine, but when talking about if the decision is made that she has to had the dog pts, which I think would be WRONG...

“It would be hard but if that’s the decision, that’s the decision,” said Fournier.

she says NOTHING about fighting that decision! That really pisses me off! I don't think the dog should be put to sleep...I think it should be muzzled when out in public!

And yes, u can buy muzzles for shih tzus as I had one for my pek/pug as he was an attack dog. It was hard to find but I found one. I had enough sense to get him one and he wore it whenever we had company or went for a walk. And it didn't cost a lot of money and I'm on a fixed income too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This is slightly off topic and a difficult point - but i hope no store ever refuses a service animal based on the potential allergies of other customers.

For me, i think the ability of a disabled person to participate and integrate into society should supersede potential allergy issues. Allergy sufferers have meds if need be...but disabled people need their service animals to 'live'. If ONLY service animals are allowed in stores than this surely reduces airborne allergens (versus allowing all pets or "pets under control").
Marko, no one can refuse a service dog unless they want to get a 1,000.00 fine. That's not to say it doesn't happen as it has happened to both hubs and myself, but then the police are called. The only place that guide dogs do not go is into a zoo. The agreement was made when the law was passed in 1970 something, that the blind would not take their guide dogs into a zoo, because of the danger of passing diseases to the zoo animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
Thank you I will not explain about how we(pitbull owners) feel about this situation. Shay I bet you would want the dog put down no matter what if it was a pitbull. I do not agree with your statement. WE are not saying kill all shih tzus we are trying to bring light on the situation of the bsl.

Sad part is this shih tzsu tht you are defending, will probably still be able to live after this incident.

A pitbull wouldnt no questions asked....so please please dont think for a second we are trying to degrade a specific breed.
I can't believe u said that it will be SAD that the shih tzu won't be put down! I hope I'm just misunderstanding that.

And the lady that got bit in the article said she "happily returned to work"

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)