Thread: Toyger?
View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Toygers

Having read the posts in the discussion to date, I feel it necessary to put a "Toyger angle" on the discussion.

First, I want it known that of our 9 indoor and countless outdoor cats, to date only one is a Toyger, while the others are rescues and a feral colony living under my house and in my "barn". These cats are no less special to me than the Toyger, and all indoor and most outdoor are either spayed or neutered. I agree there are way to many unwanted cats into the world.

Next to the Toyger breed. I want everyone to be aware that the "best" Toygers in 2005, will hopefully not be the same in 2007. We are constantly working within our programs to improve the breed. There are several bloodlines out there that for the time being we are sharing to get to a ceratin point in the breed. This is a work in progress and we have no doubt that down the road much work is going to have to be done, to get the Toyger in our mind's eye. We are protective over our animals making sure that they get the best medical care, et al as required.

We work as a team, as our numbers are relatively small. But we all know that as the adage goes, "no chain is stronger than the weakest link" we want all of our breed to be the best. Because we are seeking the ideal, the litters born may not produce a single Toyger that maintains or advances the breed. Any that fall short are altered, and either kept or sold as pets only. Before anyone gets upset I used the term sold, we make no apologies that yes our Catteries are a business. If we see defects, such as tail faults, as the kitten ages, the kitten is altered. We are careful to have no animals that do not meet our standard reproducing, but understand that people still get a loving Toyger companion.

Our better males and females are sold to knew breeders, or shared among the group to get desired effects. For example, Eeyaa Abracadabra (our Toyger), while she has a great personality, in my opinion needs to be bred to a larger Toyger with greater contrast of striping and braiding. I love this little girl, but she will likely only produce two or three litters before she is altered. Once she stops being a breeder, I will love and care for her no less. She is a part of the family. But I have to be practical she is far from ideal.

I have talked to Judy Sugden and it appears that when ready to breed, this young dame will mate with WarHoop, and hopefully this will give us a strong female for breeding. Further, we are working out the logistics of obtaining another female for our Toyger Breeding program. If this all pans out we will have three good breeders and then we can start working on getting two or three good males for breeding. This allows for more combinations, and provides that females do not breed every time they go into season. As I started earlier, the health of our Toygers is quite important.

This is not going to be an inexpensive, nor overnight process. But one that we are passionate about. Therefore I request that rather than simply judging, keep up with this wonderful breed and see where the future takes us.

Regards,
Chris Biagi
Kirace Toygers

Last edited by KiraceToygers; May 9th, 2005 at 12:23 PM.