View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann View Post
"FYI… Not rubbing it in or anything, but had to tell you that in Vet Tech school, Sarah learned that raw food diets are really bad for dogs.. Cause all kinds of worms and parasites apparently. I don’t know much about it but told her how Gizmo was doing so well on it and then she rhymed off all these reasons you shouldn’t have your dog on a raw food diet.. "
I'm currently a second year vet tech student and this attitude irritates me to no end! I'm taking a nutrition class right now, and I can see how biased it is, but no one else picks up on it. The basic nutrition info is very interesting, all about protein, fats, carbs, vitamins. Its great to learn. What they don't talk about is the pet food industry and how corrupt it is, or what quality of ingredients goes into pet foods. We have to do online nutrition courses that are written by, quess who? Thats right Purina VetDiets and Science Diet. On the nutrition course they give info on why raw diets are bad, but their basis is bacteria. They cite tests that were done and something like 60% of chicken is infected with Salmonella, but they neglect to say that its not a risk for dogs. It just bothers me that everyone in my class is getting such a biased view. We have an opportunity to do a class project though, so I'll be doing one on raw diets in a attempt to edjucate a bit!