View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

By asking about the tying out, I was just trying to get a better picture of the situation.

Tying dogs out, no matter how long the line, always encourages aggression because a dog who is tied knows he's vulnerable and cannot run away. Since you say she spends the majority of her time tied outside, I feel this could be a very large part of her problem.

I can tell that you love your dog and want to do what's best to protect her and to protect other people!

I suggest you put up a fence.

Your dog seriously needs training. I"m sure you can find an obedience school that does NOT use any punitive methods or muzzles. I've never seen an obed. school routinely use them!:eek

After you have gone through obedience school, you can start taking her out to all sorts of places. I know your dog has a wonderful and loving home, but even people who live in palaces need to get out and see things and other people too.

Quote:
Looks like we got out of control with sympathy
Probably, and that is normal! We get abused animals, then let them get away with murder because they've suffered so much.

But dogs live in the "here and now" and she has no idea that you are indulging her due to her past abuse. As you see, this is not helping her.

You can call some obed. schools, then ask if you can just go (without your dog) and watch a session. If you like what you see, you can enroll for the next course.