View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

RATS,RATS,RATS!!!!!!!
They are FANTASTIC pets!!!!! Ive NEVER been bitten, such awesome personalities. Ive always had them. They love to chase little balls, and mine were all litterbox trained. The loves toys, hammocks, balance beams, etc
ALWAYS get at least 2 together though. They are so so social and NEED to be with another rat.
So many diff breeds of them too. My personal favorite are Dumbo Rex Rats
Now, keep in mind their life span is rather short. 2-3 yrs on average. (3 yrs being VERY good)
Unspayed females usually develop tumors eventually. That is prob the only downside.
They are an absolute riot. I HATE little cages though....they love to play and run so I suggest a large rabbit cage or ? I actually used a chinchilla cage with ramps and stairs in it. The LOVED racing up and down. I eventually (I know this may sound nuts!) but we made the a small room of their own. I live in a large house and figured.....why not? I put turf on the floor and painted /stenciled long blades of grass with critters peering thru on the walls. Then took this clear hard plastic tubing(large round tubes) and affixed them running up and down the walls leading to shelves and ladders,etc. It was like a huge maze. At the end was a tiny basketball hoop aith their rubber balls they played with. They were so tame (this takes some work until they get used to you and your voice as all animal though) When the kids or myself would walk into the room Id call them and it was hilarious watching the scamper thru the maze trying to get out to us. When they did, they would stand on 2 legs trying to get us to pick them up.
Keep in mind, we spent every waking moment with them.
Something to try with your rats should u get them.......they love to bob for frozen peas! Put a small amout of water in a dish with frozen peas and watch them bob for them! Mine loved honeydew and canteloupe and peeled grapes. One of their favorite treats (small amounts remember or they'll get the runs) is yogurt off a spoon!
Yes, as you can tell Im a huge fan of rats. I never used to be. When I worked as a vet assisstant Id disappear as soon as a rat came in. Ive changed!
When we'd go for short walks or drives......they'd come along with us.
Just remember dont leave a small child unsupervised with them as rats love to climb and a child will tend to squeeze them in attempts to keep the rat still in one spot.
Oh and get this.......our 2 cats were great with them and we didnt have to worry about them at all. Now DO NOT do that yourself unless you're cats are very confused like mine. hahaha.........sounds unbelievable I know. But they grew up with them so I guess that explains it.
Good luck.....you wont be sorry.

Last edited by Shae; December 12th, 2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typos