View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM
All the world a stage :3

mew

twodogsandacat:

Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this, but you can't save every cat! Am I wrong?

There are thousands of homeless cats packed into shelters everywhere that are sociable and affectionate, that can't find homes.

I admit that adopting this cat was a mistake, and I should have picked on that was more suited to my grandmother's needs. As well if she had been more affectionate, or even more suitable to adapting, I would have been able to find her another stable home, or even bring her with me as I move from apartment to apartment.
I did feel sorry for Princess and wanted to see If I she could fit in here.
Was that a mistake?

Yeah, I'm sure I'm a terrible person for feeling this way but If it was just an issue of finding a new home THAT ISN'T THE PROBLEM!
The problem is this poor creature is going to be going through all this torture and trauma!
It's been bad enough for her!

The foster family she was with (wonderful people) had a house full of cats that she was terrified of. Her not being there meant they could foster more kittens that needed constant care etc.
I'm not saying it's better to kill than bother finding a new home,
I'm saying that it's bad enough she's been so abused that she's afraid of a hand reaching toward her,
and the more she moves around the harder it will be.
I knew that I would need to find a solution to a cat with no home before I adopted Princess.

I did NOT know enough about princess.
That's my fault more than anyone,
but regardless.
It's not a matter of what's easiest for me. I could stick her in a cage and move her around with me, cramp her into a new apartment every six months and do my best to take care of her,
but what kind of life would that be for her?
Other cats can handle that, and THAT is what I was expecting.

Because I now know she's not suited to this lifestyle, I am dealing with this NOW.
One month after adopting her, rather than two years.
Trouble for me? Yeah, a little. Trauma for her? More than she needs.
But I'm dealing with it.

I just want to know if I'm the only one on this site who thinks that you can't save every cat.
I have already contacted the foster family, and the rescue I adopted her from are going to call me back next week.
We'll figure this out,
but in my mind it's not as simple as a normal adoption because this isn't a normal cat. Go to a shelter and see how the cats climb their wire cage doors to get to you. Those cats have a chance, and they're sad, and lonely, but their life isn't living hell because they can adapt. Cats are amazing resilient animals, and can pull through almost anything,
but at what point do you say
"Enough suffering."

I'm sure you're all about to say that point is much further along than this.
Regardless, you can all start throwing your torches now.