View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Rescue stories

As part of rescue, I take in dogs from their former owners, the SPCA, etc. Frequently the dogs come into rescue for reasons other than their behaviour. Divorce, moving, some have been unclaimed strays. The family got too busy for the dog, got bored with the dog, the "new baby" excuse. I would say that about one third of the families giving up their goldens are in tears, but they are making the decision that is best for the dog, or circumstances have forced them to part with their beloved pet. Good dogs come into rescue too.

My mini doxie is a rescue. He was a stud in a puppy mill. Poor little bugger spent the first 1.5 yrs of his life in a cage. Coming into rescue was the best thing that happened to him. He has the normal doxie independent (and mischevious) nature, but no extra "issues" because he is a rescue. Except maybe he loves to snuggle more that the average doxie because he did not have any affection for the first 1.5 yrs.

Harry was a 6 month old golden on death row at the SPCA because he had been returned 4 or 5 times (separation anxiety, excessive barking). He never barked once while he was my foster because he had another dog with him during the day. So he has been adopted to a home with another dog and things are perfect.

Sally was given up because "the kids won't walk her". Sam's family was badly injured in a car accident and physically could not look after him. Mackie' family did not have enough time to pay proper attention to him. He kept "running away" to the neighbours for attention. He sitcks to his new home like glue, because he receives attention there (don't forget that goldens are very social animals. They NEED the human contact).

Charlot was on death row at the SPCA, returned 3 or 4 times because of chronic ear infections and shedding. He is happy and healthy in his "forever home". All Charlot needed was quality dog food, not the grocery store brands. He has not had one ear infection since, and does not shed more than any other golden.

Some rescue dogs do have "issues", but don't forget, they have been fostered and assessed. Rescues try to make the best match, and the reputable ones will be up front with any issues the dog has. They would rather wait and adopt the dog out once, rather than make a quick placement with high odds the dog will be coming back. And there will always be a "settling in" period when a dog moves into a new environment, but those are temporary. And rescues will help you deal with those too.

Hope this helps