View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
WOW thanks for the answers everyone
Catherine I am off to buy that book momentarily, I'm sure to have plenty of questions along the way, hope you remain an active member of this forum

I think you will like the book, Lukka'sma - and it's Richard Pitcairn,DVM - I was typing pretty fast there. <g>

I should also have said dogs digest COOKED starch well. It's a myth, sort of a half-truth, that dogs can't digest carbohydrate. Carbohydrates include starch and fiber (complex) as well as mono and di-saccharides (simple) and can be useful or detrimental according to type and amount. Starch is digested in the small intestine as long as it's cooked, and fiber is fermented in the large intestine and utilized for a variety of purposes. Moderately fermentable fiber is best - the ubiquitous beet pulp in dog food, and - a healthier choice - rice bran from brown rice.

Many foods can be used raw or cooked accoridng to the owner's preference and the dog's health history, but veggies and grains should always be cooked, in my opinion, although you *can* just pulp up the veggies as I think someone mentioned already.Always cook the grains if you're using them.

Let me know how you like the book - and don't forget to have fun with cooking and meal planning I've been doing it for many years and I still enjoy it, time consuming though it is. Daniel will sit and watch me cook for hours, especially if there's beef heart or turkey on the menu. It's a fun thing we share doing, and I cherish it.

Cat