View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
My two where, very literally, tied on a street corner.
Two of the luckiest puppies to have had you to find them.

Quote:
1-who would write, and then re-write in order to pass, this type of legislation?
Perhaps ppl in the 'field' could be nominated or can apply? Let's say veterinarians, established/ethical breeders, shelter/Rescue employees, behaviorists/trainers, etc. just to name a few. Basically ppl involved with different yet important aspects of companion animals in general. A multi-disciplinary approach would be most effective imo.

Quote:
2-what would be the costs associated with being a "registered" breeder? Again, I bring this up because clearly most ethical breeders do not make a living doing this, and usually loose money in the process of health testing, traveling to shows and/or working events, etc., whereas BYB, puppymills, etc. are a for profit enterprise and are less likely to find costs prohibitive to continuing pumping out puppies.
That would be the whole point, I guess. Making it next to impossible to have the breeding industry so profitable for the byb's and puppy/kitty millers. If they have to pay extra fees, including income taxes, for their 'business' as well as the cost of proper vetting, health certificates, s/n, etc...and then tack that on to their regular asking price for the pet...the majority of ppl looking for companion animals would find the prices unacceptable and would turn to ethical breeders and/or shelters/Rescues instead. That would be the ideal anyways.

Perhaps any extra-costs for proven ethical breeders would be tagged on to the purchase price of puppies. As it is now, aren't ethical breeders already doing all the health tests (many micro-chip already too) and have registered businesses? The extra-costs, if any, would be a minimal fee and spay/neutering which would, in turn, be charged to the buyer. A responsible buyer would have to pay this amount anyways, right? It would probably be cheaper purchasing a s/n pet from a breeder as I'm sure the breeders would get certain discounts from vets as based on volume and return clients. Just like it works with most shelters and Rescues already.