View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM

I must add that three of the cats that I cleaned today were completely fractious (hissing, biting, nasty tempraments). I had to use heavy padded gloves, cover their heads with a towel and scruff them tightly to get them into a holding area so that I could clean their cages. A third cat never got completely cleaned because I could not remove her. I pushed a wad of paper towel soaked in disinfectant around as much of her cage as I could reach with a broom. Then, I had to put the new stuff in. She was traumatized for the whole process.

I am a cat lover- I have four babies of my own, feed successive strays until I can get them spay/neutered and rehomed and have been fostering kittens for five years. I LOVE CATS..... BUT, when a fractious, unadoptable cat is in a cage in a boring shelter environment for months on end, THAT is cruel. The kindest thing that can be done for an animal like that is humane euthanasia. You will never be able to convince me otherwise.... I have assisted at humane euthanasias many a time and I can tell you with complete confidence that there are times when it is the kindest thing to do. To keep an animal in a small cage interminally is nothing short of cruel.

This is happening at the THS.