View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtorelax View Post
Sugarcatmom,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have used Wellness canned grain free before and my cats had chronic horrible diarrhea. My vet claimed that it was the rich diet of squash and sweet potatoes listed in the ingredients that probably caused the problem. What are your thought?
Not likely the squash or sweet potatoes, there really isn't that much in these foods to cause such a problem. How long were they on it for? How fast did you do the switchover?

Quote:
The only food that has cleared up their diarrhea is canned and dry w/d by Hills. I know by looking at the ingredients, that it isn't good at all in terms of what we know about what they should eat,........however..........now I'm at a total loss.
W/D is very high in fiber, and while cats typically don't need high fiber diets, it could be that for whatever reasons, your guys do better with more fiber for now. In which case, some possibilities are to feed a good canned and add in some extra fiber like pumpkin or squash, or maybe even psyllium husk (but use caution with this, it can end up causing constipation - if you need more info let me know). I would also suggest adding some probiotics to their diet during the transition to new foods, and possibly some slippery elm bark to help with loose stools.

Quote:
I'm not home enough to start preparing raw meat. I read those websites and while the info. is fantastic, it's impossible for me.
No worries, although just so you know there are pre-packaged frozen raw diets that you can get in some pet food stores that are as easy as opening a can (Nature's Variety medallions come to mind).

Quote:
Other than Wellness, what other canned food do you recommend for a sensitive little guy with kidney disease and IBS with frequent vomiting?
If you can find some Innova Evo 95% meat, one of the novel proteins like venison or duck might be a good option. Also Nature's Variety Instinct.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler