View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Unless you can give mom and kittens a room where they will have complete privacy until mom has either quit nursing or is showing signs she is willing to share her kittens then please consider taking them all back to the shelter and fostering a single cat.
Mom is not vicious. Mom is doing what she is supposed to be doing. She is protecting her babies. Letting a dog or other cats into the same room as her or letting her and the kittens out where the other animals are is asking for exactly what you are getting. She needs to be able to look after her family in peace and quiet without having to worry about other animals coming in and attacking her babies. You know they won't but she doesn't. She is probably fretting constantly about those noises on the other side of the door and what they may mean. Hardly an ideal situation for her and one that can lead to many health issues. Including her inability to feed her kittens because of stress.
It is very very important you keep the mom and the babies together until the babies are at least 8 weeks old. Preferably 10 to 12. That is the time she teaches them to play properly and is a vital part of their socialization. By separating them you would be doing none of them any favours.
You had a problem with a momma cat the last time you posted as well. That one was peeing in inappropriate places, right? If I remember correctly you wanted to separate her from her babies early as well.
Those are the best suggestions I can tell you. I am sure there will be others along to add more soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!