View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
could i suggest some dither fish?? something that catches your fancy and schools midlevel like some smaller tetras or schooling rainbows (threadfins maybe??).
I'm really into platys right now, my local shop has tons of them. I was thinking I would fill my 20g with different platys plus my little pleco. If I do that, I can switch my 2 zebra danios into the 65 as dither fish and add some more. It's hard to find really cool danios, I think I'll have to go to a different store to find them. Not looking forward to switching the danios - they are SO hard to catch! I have one loonie (that's a 1$ coin here, lol) sized pink tetra left, not really sure what to do with him.

Quote:
thats unfortunate. how did you acclimatize them? do you know the stores tank pH compared to your pH? you should always try to find that out so you know how long to spend acclimatizing them. did they pack the gouramis together in the same bag?? you can keep your dead fish for return in alcohol and they wont smell so bad.
The G's were in the same bag. Not sure what their ph was, but I got my water tested when I brought back the dead soldier and they said my quality was perfect. I acclimatized the way I usually do - let the bag sit in the water for a half hour or so, then open it and let in some of the tank water for a bit, then dump the whole thing. I've NEVER had a fish die two days into my care before. This is, however, the first time I didn't cry when I saw a dead guy. Maybe cause I didn't have to flush him...that's the worst part. Such an uncivilized way to go.

Quote:
do you have live plants? if not a little bit of aquarium salt will help. maybe 1tbs/10g?? some plants can handle low doses of salt. how well aerated is the tank? can you maybe put a bubble wand across the back to move the water around more?
I have a device that swirls the water around on the surface - remember I was asking if anyone knew what it was because I thought I got ripped off when it stopped working? It works now, I just took it apart and cleaned the impeller. I don't have any live plants. I'm wary of salt - will it hurt the loaches or gouramis?

Quote:
also making sure he has good cover will make him feel more bold. if you can prop a piece of slate up or bash out the bottom (file down the rough edges with a rock??) of a terracotta pot thats big enough for him to squeeze in?
That'ts a good idea, I'll try that. Will I need to boil the pot first?

Quote:
how many watts are the bulbs? what kind of lights are they? incandescent? florescent? it would have to be an expensive set up for you to have lights that are too bright.
I really have no idea except that they are really good for live plants, which the previous owner had TONS of. I'll have to check the wattage. Although, in the last day or so, they've not seemed to mind the light so much.

Quote:
where is your bigger loach now? i may missing something.... i havent had my second cup of coffee yet. did any one eat off of the dead one?
He's in the 20g. I bought him for my birthday. I don't think anyone ate anything off the dead guy - he was swirling around the top of the tank for quite some time and looked like he was still in good shape. Since the water test came out perfect, I think I'll move him tonight.