View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
TWo countries in a month? Will it be back and forth between two countries or is the number of countries higher? I wonder if this is the right time for a dog at all.

Some concerns you didn't mention:

Vaccination requirements in every country involved.

Quarantine rules.

Licensing rules.

Some dogs travel well, in a car, some don't. I don't see how you can possibly know this till after the fact. Unless you will get an adult dog and the seller is honest. Will it be car travel or airline as asked above?

If you get a puppy I think it would be quite difficult to properly raise a pup when you are starting a new job. You'd have to find new places or people to help you with letting the wee thing out to potty and exercise while you are away. Also consider trainging classes. Unless your new job itself involves driving and pup can go with? Still, would dog/pup have to wait in the car for long periods of time?

Sorry, it really, really doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me.

Longblades echoes my concerns here bigtime! Especially those of Quarantine.

Traveling to certain countries will require MANDATORY quarantine.
and one of the harshest is the UK, where there is a mandatory 6 month quarantine on ALL incoming animals because they are hypervigilant about rabies. There is no rabies in the UK and they do not accept proof of a rabies shot in lieu of the mandatory quarantine AFAIK.
In japan the mandatory quarantine is 14 days.

I would SERIOUSLY be looking into all the countries I will be traveling to to make sure what all the requirements are. This may be a big can of worms for you depending on the countries that you will be regularly traveling to. It will also likely INCREASE your wait times and required paperwork in almost every International airport that you go to. Intense research is required on your part for this...

Good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter