View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Very few premium food here actually contain more meat than grain, Barking at the moon and EVO are probably the only 2 that contain more meat than grain or I should say starch, most contain multiple grain sources that when totalled together equal more than the meat or they do what is called grain splitting(multiple forems of rice listed in the ingredient list eg rice, rice bran, brown rice, milled rice, rice hulls, rice flour) by splitting the rice into different form they can get around the labelling and use meat as the first ingredient, most of their foods contain just brown rice which is a heck of a lot better quality and better nutrition than white rice, also adds oats an easy to digest grain. Their phosphurous levels in most of their foods is much lower than many of the premium brands here which are 1.3 to over 2% and that is where the problem with kidney disease comes into play, by keeping under 1% the dogs are less likely to develop kidney disease. Protein is not what cause kidney disease. If one of my dogs developed kidney disease I would be trying their duck, fish or chicken foods before going a prescription diet, because the quality way, way better than anything you would find in a kidney prescription food.