View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Separating a dog in an altercation with another dog is completely different biting scenario.
Although biting is never fun, humans have to be prepared and careful to separate dogs in a scuffle, or they will get bit. I know it is hard, but try to forgive your puppy and yourself for the humans getting bitten here.

I completely agree with the NILF training.
For context, I have a bulldog who is part of our family who is dominant and quite aggressive with other dogs- so this is part of my reality too.
He has to be highly supervised around other dogs. I watch his body language and there are many indicators that will tell me he is going to be a dominant jerk. I watch carefully and intervene when necessary. Sometimes he just does not get to participate in certain situations because he is not being responsive enough to our training.
We have had him 6 months and he has come soooo far, but he is constantly working on his obedience- which is about posture, and communication with other animals.

I completely agree with getting him into training, and additionally, I would keep him on umbilical cord with you for the next little while. Don't be too hard on yourself though, many dog owners have these same challenges and it does not mean you have a bad dog or that you will have to get rid of him.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire