View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM

I started my pup when he was 2 months old. He always kept a collar around his neck so he gets use to it when its leash time. Then i put a nylon leash would hook it on his collar and let him walk anywhere he wanted in the house with it. So he would be dragging it...Bit by bit I would pick it up and walk with him in the house. Then it was the test outside 2 days later. He would sit like all dogs and just look at you. We would encourage him with our tone of voice by just saying come on come on till the got the nack of walking with you. But i would do this at night when there is no one around. Took only a week and he would follow. Just start in your backyard or a park so it can do a few yards at first...next thing you know they walk and then you can keep him closer to you and start using the word HEEL...I would say Heel walk maybe like 20feet stopped make him sit and say Goodboy. The repeat it. Today hes going to be 5months next week and he heels, sits, stays and all with or without the leash. But this is everyday training till he got it in his head. EVERYDAY!! Start 10mins here and there then now a couple of hours. Now i can power walk with him and he follows