View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Somewhere around here on pets.ca is a huge thread I and others wrote about vaccinosis. And I was wondering about that amongst other things myself.

From a food perspective...I'm not sure I agree about plunging right back into raw though. And, I personally would not do it with chicken. Although it is generally easier to digest, it is more prone to salmonella and listeria and with a dog with huge gut issues already I would worry about all the other that commercially raised chickens are fed.

Personally I would also stay away from all commercially prepared foods and go back to cooking a single protein. No vegges, no grains, no extra treats, no nothing. You mentioned that you had some success with beef, have tried bison once and that he can still eat the bones. If you can find a source for FRESH-from the-slaughterhouse certified organic beef (that may be less expensive than bison), I'd go in that direction. I would be (being me ) cook it in a cast iron fry pan with just enough organic butter to oil up the pan.

I'm also going to post a question in health about colostrum as a separate thread Jan as I'm curious whether those with animals IBD/ colitis/ Crohn's have ever found success with it.

But, I do think there's more to this than food.
Well, no, I won't be plunging into raw - at least not right away. I do know that he is intolerant of poultry and duck. Hazel's suggestion makes good sense though- try the pred to get rid of any inflammation in the intestines and see if he can then tolerate a hypoallergenic food. I'm going to be looking into that.

I'll be anxiously waiting for any replies on your IBD/coloties.... thread !