Thread: Hunter killed
View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
to call hunting a "sport" is moronic. in a sport, both teams know the rules and willingly engage in the game. how on earth is hunting fair for the poor animals? do they have guns to fight back? i have hunters in my family and am totally ashamed of that that branch of the tree :sad: i don't understand hunting, i don't like eating animals, i hate the bloody slaughter and don't see the point of the whole thing. i mean, go shoot darts or something! leave the poor animals alone
Hunting is hard to understand for a lot of people. I didn't understand it for a long time. However, I don't consider it "sport", or a "game". It is life and death. It has been so for a very long time. Don't ever think, however, that the wildlife does not "understand" the game. Not only humans hunt. Animals face the danger of predators every living moment. They do understand the hunt and react accordingly. You do not go out in the woods and take for the asking.

I do comprehend both sides of the issue. City-born and -raised, I was anti-hunting until my college years, when I began working behind hunting dogs with my husband-to-be. The joys of working with your dogs in beautiful environs, of finding game, and watching them work it... Those are the main motivations of the hunt. Not the killing. And although I enjoy eating game, it is not the be-all and end-all of the hunt.

I know it seems contradictory to love and respect the animals, and then go out and try to kill one, but when you do so, you appreciate the ramifications of what it is you're doing. It's not as easy to appreciate the sacrifice of the cows or the lambs or the calves--their deaths come far away and out of sight. They do not understand what it is to be hunted. Death comes to them at the hands of creatures they have been raised to trust. They don't have a chance to escape it. This, too, is not sport, but life and death at its saddest, IMO. How is the stockyard fair to the beef cattle? How is the slaughter of poultry fair to the chickens?

It is a matter of perspective. But I do understand your point of view. I value your input in this forum and I hope my point of view does not put me on your black list