View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2017, 06:01 PM

Yes Hazel we have the same problem from our BB. It started about eight years ago when BB was around two years of age. We used the bitter green apple spray, and found that it had little effect on BB. I ended up putting on the high tension lines using automotive wire protectant that I got at an automotive supplier, and I think I have seen it in Home Depot too. This problem can get quite expensive. BB has managed to kill three mice (the Logitech type) by biting off the plug-in tail, and she's done a number on three headsets as well, and the list goes on.

I was watching the program a few years back where they were having issues with new house wiring. It seems as if mice and rats are taking to chewing on the new wiring in homes today more so than they used to. It would appear as if the protective covering on today's wires are made with a new addtive containing vegetable protein, and I am wondering if this is the case is it instigating chewing. I have a few items around the house that we've had for many years, and some of them are pass me downs from our parents and none of these have any tooth marks on them anywhere. And she has shown no interest in them at any time, and they were made here in North America. Pardon the couch at cards were to be and even chewing on the cards

We switched our cats over to species appropriate meals a little over three years ago, and this seemed to have made a difference. BB still seems to show interest in chewing on the cords before breakfast. She has now taken interest in doorstops. You know the ones that are made out of a spring with a rubber bumper? Well a rubber bumper is now getting a wee bit of a work over before breakfast, I guess it's a little safer than electrical cords, but at least she does pay attention when I tell her no don't chew.

Something I was thinking of trying a while back was Feliway I don't know if the cords are giving off an odour that smells like food. Maybe a lite spray with Feliway will hide the odour and maybe stop the procedure of chewing. I loaned my bottle before I had it chance to try it, and I never bought a new bottle.

An article I read some time back when I was trying to research this problem said that cats chewing on a 110 V lamp cord could feel the electricity passing through the wire before their teeth touched the wire consequently causing them to stop the bite. But from time to time some cats do go through the coating and hit the wire and get badly burnt if not electrocuted. This really isn't my idea of electrifying experience. Hopefully somebody else can shed some light on this. That way we'll both gain from it.

We have the mad dash problem here too, but here it's called a mad dash between two cats mainly Yogi and Mrg.

Reg