View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Well when I read the article yesterday I wrote to THS and originally they sent me the response they printed to Worthingtons article. I wrote back and told them that they did not answer my questions about surrendering an animal and then I got a response that was not a copy of the article or a form letter. This was the response I got. I questioned why they would go to California for help when we have one of the premier animal science programs in North America right here in Guelph.

The surrender fee that we charge is not mandatory. Previously we used to request a donation. But as per CRA guidelines we needed to amend that process and change it to a fee based structure. Its also important to know that we would not turn someone away from surrendering an animal because they couldn’t afford the fee.

We do also consult with the U of G program in Canada from time to time – they are a valuable resource. The reason we have consulted with the University of California is because they have a highly regarded Shelter medicine program – you can read more about it here if you like http://www.sheltermedicine.com/about/welcome.php

We exchanged a few emails she also sent this back to me
I understand why you would feel that way – the article is very biased, and sounds really bad. We were all really upset about the article as well – the picture he has painted is not correct. Its too bad, because we really need the support after going through so much. Things are 100% improved & better than before, although we are not perfect & there is work still to be done to rebuild THS.

I suggested a press conference

I agree & I have spoken with our donor relations team about crafting the appropriate types of responses to donors – thanks for your feedback.

I will suggest the press conference to our Executive Director, it’s a good idea.

Also, we are in talks with the Toronto Animal Services to be able to accept stray animals, and we hope to be able to have this in place very soon.

We would be happy to discuss your concerns in more detail and hopefully clear up much of the misinformation published in the Sun article. If you like I could have our Executive Director give you a call – let me know.

I hope you will reconsider your support of THS and our work to help animals. We truly appreciate the support of our valued donors.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog

Last edited by mastifflover; July 29th, 2010 at 11:32 AM.