View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM

Help with my new dog's behavior

Need your help.

I have a 4 year old German Shorthair/Black Lab female (spayed), Tess, that has been with us for 3+ years. Se has been a very good dog, well trained and a more Alpha female with other dogs. My wife and I are gone during the day. We decided to get another dog for companionship for Tess. We picked up a German Shorthair/Queens hound male (neutered, recently), Sid, who is about 1 year old. They are about the same size. At the pound Sid seemed submissive. We worked with him for 3 days around other dogs before taking him home. Once we brought him home, Tess was playful, but Sid was hesitant. They have had one day together. My concern is that Sid will come and show teeth and nip at Tess if Tess comes to me or my wife for petting. We have taken the Alpha role, however, I'm at a loss how to make Sid stop the nipping and accept Tess' affection. It is apparent by the eyes that Sid has made Tess submissive to him. Sid is very aware of where Tess is and if she is coming to one of us for some affection. What is the training we need to do? Is this just a time issue? We've had two dogs in the past, but my wife and I feel as much stress as the dogs!