View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh No! Poor Baby Rabbit!

*I hope it'll be ok*

Right after I mocked them for being 'mighty hunters', the boys decided to do some real hunting :sad::sad:

I was weeding with them in the backyard and all of sudden Onnie dashes through some bush - bunduk has this crazed look in his eyes and they both start running after something. I see a flash of brown as some little animal scurries across the yard, kitties in hot pursuit.

I sprang up and ran to the area, clapped my hands and screamed! In a flash the rabbit ran the other side and I grabbed Onnie (who had cornered it), only to have bunduk spring after it and grab it. I heard the most horrible squeal ever :sad:

Bunduk ran for the deck and back door and stood at the screen, wanting to bring it inside of course!! I dropped Onnie and ran too, all the while screaming for my mom (who was in the kitchen). When my mom came to the door by the time I reached Bunduk, she spooked him and he dropped the rabbit.

Most horrible minute ever!! I thought it was dead in Bunduk's mouth because its neck was at a funny angle and it wasnt moving at all. When he dropped it at first it was cornered on the deck but I guess my yelling and general hysteria spooked Bunduk and finally the rabbit was able to run out under the gate and to the front yard area.

Right now I have two overly excited kitties (both unharmed except 4 a small scratch on bunduks nose), a mom who thinks im crazy (for my yelling and screaming...she thought the dogs next door got the cats or something ) and a sense of worry over the rabbit. There was no blood or anything so I'm hoping it'll be ok?

I almost feel worse now for making bunduk let it go because what if it's injured now and is just in pain?

How should I have reacted?? I thought my boys wouldnt be able to catch anything because their collars jingle

Now I know this is the circle of life and all and I eat meat too...so im not delusional on that front, but my cats arent hungry and so thats why i was so upset. Not to mention for their own health (and my vet bills!) as they could also get injured and get parasites/diseases. That and I invite wildlife to the yard (with the feeders), so I think its a cruel to invite them then let the predators loose!

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Last edited by onster; June 27th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.