View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He said that he used to give his dog leftover scraps from his job and his dog got sick from it and now has to go to the vet every 3 months, which scares the living crap out of me.
How old were the scraps he gave his dog? What kind of meat were they? What kind of symptoms did his dog have and were they PROVEN to have made his dog sick? Was it a case of him taking his dog to his vet and the vet just decided without any tests that it was the meat?
Why is he taking his dog to the vet every 3 months, what symptoms does his dog still have that require vet visits, does the dog still require treatment or is it just a check up?

These are the types of questions you need to ask people when they say that (or just ignore them, people tend to be asses sometimes). If the person can't answer the questions or just says something like "Well, the vet said to stop giving raw meat! I can't remember why, but that's what the vet said"
Someone who can't give you an educated answer is just relaying hearsay or not giving you the whole story, those type of people aren't worth listening to.

I just started feeding one of my dogs raw, and he's fine. There are plenty of people online (this message board and others) that feed raw without any ill effects. There are some dogs that just can't handle raw, but there are PLENTY of dogs that do fine on it.

Personally I haven't encountered any dogs that have required a vet visit from eating raw meat (though I've seen a couple online that have). I just gave Walnut some the other day and she threw up so I stopped giving it to her, but now she's fine, no vet visit required. She's also gotten sick from certain storebought treats, some dogs are sensitive to certain things. My other dog however has been eating raw for 5 or 6 days now and he's doing GREAT, much better than on kibble.
Just about everyone around here who hunts gives their dogs raw meat and bones as a treat with no ill effect.

I've seen dogs get sick from eating RANCID meat and that's a whole different story. Most likely the man you talked to gave his dog rotten or contaminated meat, and that's the problem. Any meat that's been frozen for human consumption or scraps that the butcher just cut off THAT day should be fine for dogs.
---
Believe it or not there are also MANY people who will say you're crazy for giving high end holistic food ("they're dogs, cheap food is fine!"), or that Science Diet or some such is better ("My vet says hollistic foods aren't complete or proven."), which is total BS.
Most people get their opinions of food either from the vet or the pet food companies, so you kind of have to sift through those kind of views to find unbias or educated opinions.
I've gotten tons of flack from people for not giving cheap food and buying Timberwolf Organics at $50/bag. Whatever, they're my dogs and I want the best for them. I've done the research and I'm not picking my food based on price, a TV commercial or what the vet is peddling, so they can say what they want as long as my dogs are healthy.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; November 27th, 2006 at 11:19 PM.