Thread: Pet limit
View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
I think it's a stretch to compare pet limits to BSL.. but that's my opinion.
It's still a blanket policy applied to ALL situations without regard to the individual circumstances, so I personally think they are comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
It would be a wonderful society if we could judge individual home owners and pet limits on a case by case basis - but I don't think there are the resources for that, do you?
Calgary seems to make it work. I would think more resources would be needed to police the number of pets someone has than not to.

As for licensing being a "money-grab", here are some of things that the licence fees fund here in Calgary:

Quote:
Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, at three months of age all cats and dogs residing in the City of Calgary must have a City of Calgary licence. Licensing fees, not tax dollars, fund the following programs and services:
  • Reunite lost cats and lost dogs with their owners.
  • Operate the Pet Drive Home program.
  • Educate cat and dog owners about responsible pet ownership.
  • Enforce the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
  • Shelter and feed lost impounded cats and impounded dogs in our vet-operated facility.
  • Manage our animal adoption program.
  • Offer school programs at no charge.
  • Deliver public education programs.
  • Run our volunteer animal socialization program.
  • Help neighbours resolve their animal related conflicts.
  • Provide funding to veterinary clinics for emergency medical care for injured stray cats and dogs.
  • Operate the No Cost Spay/Neuter program for the cats and dogs of eligible Calgarians.
  • Provide medical care to adoptable cats and dogs in our state of the art clinic.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler