View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM

Slinky Update / Food Dilemma

Hello,
For those who read my posts about my 13yr old Slinky who had her spleen & 11lb hematoma removed, I thought I would give an update.

Its been 4 weeks now & besides a bit of a slump the past couple days she has been doing pretty great.

I think I made a mistake in that I switched her food shortly after surgery to Orijen Senior. Though I still think this is a GREAT food I think its too much for her.

For the first 2-3 weeks she was doing great but the last few days I noticed her drinking/peeing a lot. She had her first accident last night since before the surgery. When I was cleaning up the pee I noticed it did not leave any color on the paper-towel. That concerned me obviously (referring to the post by Dr. Lee regarding increase water consumption).

I have not decided to run blood tests yet but I may consider it, just out of curiousity as her kidneys showed to be functioning properly from her bloodtests 3 weeks ago.

She has pretty much fluctuated between 2-4 star dog foods (6 being the best) throughout her life & though I really think Orijen is a great food, I dont think its for her, especially at this point in life. (I just really wanted to give her the best.)

I understand that a high protein diet should not affect the kidneys as one suspects unless there is an under lying issue with the kidneys itself. (correct me if im wrong.)

Anyway I will monitor her closely the next few days & have since switched her food. I thought I would give Chicken Soup for the Senior Soul a try (3 star).

Thanks for reading! Please let me know if you have any recommendation for food. Should I not even be concerned about her being on a "Senior" diet & maybe just supplement her with the glucosamine etc.?