View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I think all parents are responsible to protect their babies, furry or not. How is it possible for a child to just wander into a yard? The child's parents should have been watching him. The dog's parents should have had the gate locked. Now all the babies are suffering the consequences, furry or not. My gate is locked to protect Den-Den. I fear someone stealing him or accidently letting him out more than him biting someone. Owners of dogs on the banned list need to be especially vigilant to protect their babies. I remember how I used to climb over the neighbor's fence to play with their dog. If I had been bitten, it would have been my fault. Here in California, the owner of the dog would be responsible for having "an attractive nuisance" if the child climbed the fence and was hurt. Same thing if the child climbs the fence to take a swim in the pool and drowns. The owner is liable because of having "an attractive nuisance". That is so wrong! I know of another person who lived on a corner lot. This one male teenager kept driving across the corner, damaging his lawn. So he sunk several metal posts on the corner and planted shrubs to conceal them. The teenager drove across the corner again, right through the new landscaping and tore out the underside of his car. Yep! The landowner was sued and made to pay for the repairs to the car! Bottom line - protect your babies! Don't let them be a target for anyone's stupidity, because they'll be the ones who lose.