View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

BM, your inbox is full so I'll post this here, if that's okay:

I've been thinking about your situation all morning and I wish I could give you an easy answer. I can't believe the vet vaccinated a pregnant cat with a modified live virus ! Do you know any history on the kitty? How old is she? I did read somewhere that if a cat has been exposed to panleuk in the past or has been previously vaccinated for it, that no harm will come to her unborn kittens. Not sure how or why, except that perhaps her own immune system is more capable of responding to the MLV quickly before it can cause any issues with the kittens. The biggest issue I think is that some of the kittens could possibly be born with cerebral hypoplasia, which isn't necessarily a death sentence. Have you heard of Charley? He's put a face to this condition on various youtube videos and has hopefully saved other cats from being euthanized for having it: http://mousebreath.com/2011/07/28/me...ypoplasic-cat/

I'm wondering if the timing of the vaccination isn't also a factor. If she'd been vaxed earlier in the pregnancy when vital cells were still dividing, perhaps it would be more of an issue? By this point, the kittens should be well formed and moving around in her womb. Maybe that increases the likelihood that they'll be okay?

I know lots of people would opt to abort, and I probably would have been one of those people in the past. Now I'm not so sure, given how close to term she is. After coming close to aborting my Cinnamon Girl's kittens after I trapped her, I'm horrified to think of it now. All the rationale in the world (too many cats, not enough homes, yadda yadda) melts away when I see Peppercorn and Carrot snuggling with CG in a sunbeam.

So I don't envy your position at all. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go through with the birth and take my chances.

Good luck my dear!!! Let me know what happens.

Julie

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler