View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

habibi:

I also volunteer for a humane society and I have to tell you that every morning the same mess is greeted by the volunteer cleaners that you describe, so that is not isolated to the THS. There are un-neutered cats that will spray all over the floor (they are waiting to get neutered, my HS has a manditory spay/neuter policy before adoption). Some will even destroy their cages before the staff have finished cleaning the room.

Also, I would like to tell you a story about a male stray that was brought in and had a year long stay. He was angry, he hated people, he didn't want to be touched. He bit and bit and bit the staff. He was not allowed out for play time as he was too angry (I now think it was probably more frightened than angry). I felt for this guy :sad: and wondered if it wasn't better to have him euthanized too. One day the right person came along and fell in love with him. They were experienced cat handlers and so they adopted him. He has turned out to be a wonderful, lovable lap cat . The HS gave him a chance and is now in a lovable family. He was found declawed which is probably the reason for his biting and fear. . He was at the shelter for almost a year.

I am sure glad my HS doesn't euthanize for space because I would probably not have my sweet Rose right now. She was a hissing, angry girl during her stay at the HS, not the same cat as what was living in my home. After a month of tears from saying good bye to her after a visit at the shelter, I brought her home for good, and have not regretted one second of having a semi feral in my house. She turned out to be such a sweet, wonderful kitty.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey