View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie467
I heard and read that female bettas will kill the males. I also heard that they live in 75-82 degrees F, and read that goldfish can live in the lower end of that temp. I was also told that a good rule is one inch of fish to a gallon. so like a ten gallon could have ten one inch fish or five five inch fish. And sorry i messed up the tank size it's 40gal. Also my goldfish is only suposed to get to about 2 inches long, right now it's about an inch. is that unusual? is it a drawf goldfish or something? Also I should have specified that my tank is about as long as a 20gal but really deep.
Ok....I've actually bred Bettas before and can handle the Betta question.
The male Betta fish is the agressor. The male will attack and try to kill the female if they're put in the same tank....so....don't do it. The male is only socialable with fish from other species. One male per tank, unless you have a massive tank (like Trinitie said before). As was also said...you can have more than one female per tank. They'll establish a pecking order and keep each other in check.

I would not put a goldfish in a heated tank. Since goldfish are cold water fish, the heat can cause them stress and make for an unhealthy fish.

You're right about the 1 inch of fish per gallon, but don't fill up your tank right away. Don't get an algea eating fish yet....there's nothing for them to eat. Well...I guess you could get algea tablets if you really wanted to.

Your type of tank (tall and a bit narrow) is perfect for fish that live at different levels. Go to the library and take out some books on tropical fish....or do some online research. Many fish websites will give advice on what types of fish can live with each other. I've had Angels before.....and you don't want to see what they can do to other fish...trust me!!!

Your goldfish isn't a dwarf....they grow slowly, and only to the size their tanks will allow.

If you need any more help....feel free to PM if you want.