View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM

How long between Prednisolone and Deramaxx (NSAID)?

My dog (65 pound, 13-year-old black lab) had been on Deramaxx for about a year for his arthritis. Our vet wanted to try him on prednisolone to see if it worked any better for him, but the difference was negligible if any and I'd prefer being able to sleep at night without having worry about its side effects. As such, we're going to transition back onto Deramaxx. However, reading online about the risk of ulcers should the two interact, as well as the risks of weaning off prednisolone too quickly, is really disconcerting. While I plan on asking my vet tomorrow, I'd rather not just take his word for it. How long is normally suggested for weaning off of prednisolone, and how long should I wait before beginning him on the Deramaxx again? The vet had initially told us to stop Deramaxx for 24 hours before beginning prednisolone. As far as dosage, he was on 5mg of prednisolone twice a day for two days, followed by 5mg per day for three, followed by 5mg every other day for the past four (for a total of 10 days).

Thanks for the help!