View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'm a softy

Sadly this happens. Usually kittens can be cared for very successfully without their mother. I have done this and had no troubles. I have lost kittens due to genetic issues, young sick mothers.

There are things that can cause a mother to have low milk supply, but if she was not in good hands previosly, nothing can be done when it is too late, other than large amounds of fluid, good healthy food..
AS for not having a motherly instinct, that has happened too, Usually they are young and scared. Sometimes being in a new strange environment that the cat is fearful of will be the cause of this.

I have been lucky enough to be chosen as the one to take care of these cats, each of them have a permanent place in my heart forever. Most rewarding thing you can do. Don't be discouraged.

These situations are not the norm, and feeding kittens without the mother can be tricky there are alot of things you have to do just right, but it can be done very well.

It is sad that this happened to you, but don't give up. The second mother was probably young, and scared, and confused. If one was stillborn they could have been sick. None of the troubles are your fault. So I say give it a go again. There will be nothing that can replace what it in your heart after you send some babies off to a loving forever home.

Also, a queen with kittens usually will stay for more than 2 months.. I don't know how your SPCA does it, but I wont wean before 12 weeks, and I never take all the kittens at once, one kitten every 4 days. I don't like the idea of grabbing them from her and running out the door, the mother then cries and cries and looks for them, sometimes into a panicked frenzy..

Good luck! If you do get another momma there is lots of help here to guide you through! If you ever have any questions I am here, I have not seen it all, but close! Good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter