View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasong View Post
I have been researching dog food ad nauseum, and have found that the most nutritious foods have been put through feeding trials by an independent organization, such as aafco. This product label states that feeding trials were conducted, but by their own labs "up to AAFCO trial standards", which is nowhere near the same thing. Also, crude protein does not necessarily mean digestable protein - it could be old leather boots!! Be careful that you are aware of all the "tricks" in labeling. I am currently using this for my puppy, but only because I can not afford the higher end stuff and it was the best I could get at the time for the right price. As well, I am sick of my vet pushing Hill's and Medi-Cal on me!

Another thing is that although the meat is listed first (showing the highest volume compared to each of the other ingredients), if you add all of the different grains, rice etc. together, they end up as a higher combined volume than any of the meat.

The only way anyone can get past this is either feed raw meat or pay the price for food that is REALLY expensive.

Oh, yeah - apples are toxic to dogs, and canines do not naturally eat carrots, lettuce or any other vegie - these are fillers dressed up as "healthy" for dogs. Dogs are CARNIVORES, not naturally omnivores -WE ARE! Vegies are good for us, but provide no nutrition to the dog, they can not metabolize them. They only eat grass to clean out their stomaches, not get nutrition. Wise up those of you who want to feed your dog salad!
The AAFCO is an oversight group made up of dog food manufacturers. Hardly what I'd call 'independent', and most any dog food, even the cheapest of the cheap will meet AAFCO standards. That in itself doesn't amount to a hill of beans IMO. Also, apples aren't toxic to dogs.

By the way, this thread is almost 3 years old.