Thread: Good harnesses?
View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:30 PM

Good harnesses?

For 4 months we've been trying to walk Tommy, my 6 month old JRT. He HATES it. He won't walk. We've had training classes, and literally forced him to walk by just not stopping when he does, and it worked for a little while... but then he got really sick and wasn't allowed outside for a few weeks. Now we're back to not walking. He just sits, pulls backwards, turns around, whatever - anything but walk. We've tried treats, rewards, making a fuss when he takes a few steps, ignoring him, standing still when he pulls, etc etc... nothing works. Tonight he literally started choking himself until he started gagging and throwing up. I swear somebody's going to call Animal Control on us after the scene we just had! Obviously we can't keep putting pressure on his collar, and the only harness I've found that actually fits him that he can't squirm out of is his car harness, but the loop for the leash is not in the middle of his back it's at the end which makes it almost useless to try and walk him. I need to find a harness that is squirm-proof but has the metal d-ring in the middle, near the shoulder blades. Anybody have any recommendations? I think I have the only dog who HATES going outside .