View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
He's crazy constipated. He is staying at the clinic overnight, possibly until Monday as they try to work the poop out.
Sorry to hear that. What are they doing at the clinic to help him pass the stool?

Quote:
That all said - the vet is recommending a hydrolyzed protein type of food for my Mr Miyagi.
Of course she is.

Quote:
Are the ingredients going to be as horrible as I fear
Yes. Here are the ingredients in Hill's Z/D:
Brewers Rice, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Hydrolyzed Chicken, Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Powdered Cellulose,
Quote:
She is also recommending just dry food (it's easier to limit the protein or something?).
???????? Seriously?????? That's ridiculous.
The number one cause of constipation in cats IS DRY FOOD!!!!! I personally wouldn't discuss diet with her at all if this is what her recommendation is.

Here's my advice, for what it's worth. Ditch ALL kibble. Doesn't matter if it's grain-free or not, it's still dry. Ideally, try a raw diet without too much bone and minimal plant content, but if that's not possible, there are some nice simple novel protein canned foods available, like Innova Evo 95% venison or duck. Nature's Variety also makes so excellent ones like Instinct Rabbit or Lamb. Add an extra tablespoon or 2 of warm water to Mr Miyagi's meals.

Some cats develop issues with a protein source after repeat and continuous exposure, so perhaps you need to rotate between a few different varieties to prevent that from happening. I would also stay away from fish, which tends to be high on the allergenic list.

You can also add some supplements to Mr. Miyagi's diet, like slippery elm bark, probiotics or digestive enzymes. Not all at once, but see if one of those helps.

Here is more info for you on constipation in cats:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...onstipatedcats

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler