View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
When I was talking to the girl at my vets office about this, she was saying, it's worse if I didn't get my cats vaccinated yearly. Only because, if by some huge chance, they bit anyone, which is highly doubtful, and this person were to be given stitches, by law the animal would be required to undergo a test to see if they had rabies. And that test involves putting the animal down and testing brain matter.
Scare tactics. Or she's apparently not familiar with the law then. Quarantine for 10 days is the usual mandate. From this website (and pertaining to Miami/Dade County in particular): http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...y_sarasota.htm

Quote:
Sec. 5-12. Dogs or other animals suspected of having rabies.

Any dog or other animal suspected of having rabies or any dog or other animal having bitten any person shall be impounded at the owner's expense at a place designated by the County Manager or Director of Public Health for that purpose, or placed in custody of a licensed veterinarian for ten (10) days. Any licensed and vaccinated dog or other animal having bitten any person may, at the discretion of the Director of Public Health or his representative, be impounded and quarantined at the owner's home for ten (10) days. Any dog bitten by a known rabid animal shall be placed under the surveillance of the Director of Public Health or his authorized representative.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler