View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Learning fast

Can't help any as my 2 are more than happy till evening food time. However they have mats to eat off rather than bowls and they are lifted after feeding. Maybe something chewy like a nylabone would help (both mine have one end each of one at the moment merrily chewing away).
If you have the time then maybe have something with bone in the morning to give more of a work out. We still have the bustercube, but Riley just bats is around the room for fun now, as he's not that bothered on the kibble that comes out anymore.
It's a personal thing but I prefer a hungry dog at mealtimes rather than one who is contented to take their time, but that is probably a kickback from the kibble feeding as Riley was happy to pick at his food. Now he tucks right in or goes without he soon caught on.
Also are you at home eating at noon?, do you feed the dogs before or after you eat? We always feed after us so they know to stay away while we prepair and eat our food, then it's their time, if he assoaciates your meal time with his own then he may just have to go on a learning curve. Just keep an eye on his weight and go from there. You will know if he start to thin out and you can adjust your feeding from there. I have done the opposite and had to cut back a little (overzealous on my part at the begining as it was going so well). Have faith in your own observations and if you feel you need to up the intake a little and see if it helps, if not you can always cut back again.

Scott, I'm interested how you weigh Rosco? it's not like you can just pick him up and stand on the bathroom scales with him. Do you have just pop into the vet and ask them to weigh him (ours has cunningly hid the weight display behind the counter)