View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:01 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisDuchess View Post
I bred the Husky cross intentionally as there is a demand for husky shepherds in my area. The Lab was very unintentional and a neighbour's lab jumped my 5 foot plus fence and got at my female who had gone into heat 4 days earlier than her cycle had previously been. When I approached my old vet about an emergency spay he didn;t agree with the need for the procedure as she is a top conforming dog of a desired working breed. Not papered because she's a GSD Aussie hybrid, but color, size, temperament, and instinct conforming. We have intentions to do two Aussie litters in the next two years. As you may be aware the breed standard size has been in decline and the overall genetic pool is weak for the Aussie. This is a private working interest in a superior animal. So this Labrador litter was NOT wanted. Very unfortunate. I would say that I likely take a loss of a few hundred dollars on a mixed litter like the labs because I include the vet in very regular checkups of mother and pups throughtout the whole process and give return guarantees to all takers. I'd rather re-place my dogs than expect the SPCA to do it. I also volunteer with the local SPCA as a fundraiser.

It's too bad that on every dog site the "purebred" crowd gets concerned about mixed breeders. It would be time better spent to be worried about the genetic defects that are being crammed into breeds in order to get bigger ears or more wrinkles or shorter noses or a million other unproductive traits which serve only the status of the dog's owner and not the animal's health and well-being. My dogs, however muttish they are come from active, healthy working stock genetically clean and luckily in the case of the Labrador a working hunting dog, and their beginning bloodlines are job and trial not ring and wallet. If a dog person wants to be concerned about breeding, be concerned about the miniature aussies, the 100 + lb GSDs with genetics so poor many police forces and protection agencies won'lt even consider them. Yet still, these animals and many others, especially the small breeds are endorsed even lauded for these failures in evolution.
There are still people out there who would like to see genetic pools expanded and breeds brought back to function before form.
First off, I hope your dog gets well soon.

Now as for the "every dog site" comment. This is a pro spay neuter board with many members here who are in rescue and see the overpopulation problem on a daily basis from puppy mills and byb's contributing to the problem. I am surprised that as a volunteer at the SPCA you would yourself be breeding dogs, and evidently for money as you referred to taking a loss on the puppies of this accidental pairing.
Don't expect a lot of people here to believe in or approve of what you're doing.

clm