View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
She was a little over weight, small cat in general. She should weight I figure around 10 pounds, but she has lost muscle mass. So aside from the constant weight loss, (1/2 pound a month), it's the muscle mass that concerns me.
Proteinuria can also be a contributing factor to weight loss and possibly muscle wasting as well. When you get the test results, please also post some results of the urinalysis, in particular the urine specific gravity (USG) and the protein number.

Quote:
I've just cancelled the feeding tube as I'm not 100% comfortable with it either and now that I have touched base with you guys I might be able to come up with some other solutions.
Great.

Quote:
I don't know what kind of supplements to give her. As for the appetite stimulant, it was tossed out because the vet felt it was too hard on Tus's kidney's. Are there other's that are not hard on the kidney's
For stimulating the appetite, one of the safest things you might want to try for starters are the B vitamins, in particular Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin). B12 is known to help stimulate the appetite. All the B vitamins are very safe as they are water soluble and any excess will be excreted in the urine.

Also, if you haven't already done this, raising Tus's food and water dishes off the floor can be helpful. Sometimes cats with CRF can experience some nausea and it can help if they don't have to lower their heads so far when eating or drinking.

Quote:
I will be asking for copies of the test results today and I hope you guys will stick with me to at least guide me in a direction..through the path of overload of information)
Growler doesn't usually come on-line till very late and will likely be on late tonight. She is the most knowledgeable in explaining and interpreting the test results. If you get a chance to post the results today that would be great. For starters the most important numbers from the blood test are the urea, creatinine and phosphorus, including the reference ranges as well because they can vary slightly from one lab to another. Also the USG and protein numbers from the urinalysis.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009