View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

All good questions.

Undercoat - yes if this is exposed, it sounds like the hair shaft is being worn down.

Other concern. If the change of food does not resolve some of the issues. Perhaps a routine blood test might at least rule out any problems that might be underlying. Poor hair coat, lack of grooming, etc... if not nutritional may be other causes.

Pumpkin and squash. Great ideas. If you find a way for your cat to eat it regularly, let me know. Does anyone here on the forum know? I routinely use pumpkin for my canine patients but can't get any cats to touch it!

Vaccine questions

Rabies - yes, there is a non-adjuvanted form from Merial. Merial also has the IMRAB3 which while a great rabies vaccine, IS adjuvanted. So you need to make sure the rabies is specific. It will say live canarypox virus and be ONLY for cats. It utilizes a harmless bird virus instead of a live cat virus. If you want more 'nerdy' info on how it works, I can explain.

The needless injection is for feline leukemia vaccine ONLY at this time and requires a special device called the VetJet. It is white and teal colored and the size of a small flashlight. I wish it was common place. In my opinion, EVERY VET should have this but the device is about $250-300 and the vaccine is more costly. But really - why is this an issue for vets? (also if you but enough vaccines, the company usually gives you the device anyways!) When choosing between a vaccine that could give a deadly cancer and one that does not - why is this a question of a couple bucks per vaccine?! (Sorry, I am off my soap box now) In Phoenix there are only about twenty vet jets being used. Very sad. I believe if the cat owners were aware of this technology and the data that strongly supports concern with adjuvants that this vaccine would be very common place!

Is there a cat only hospital in your area - they usually always carry non adjuvants. Personally, in light of the current data and the internal medicine and immunologists that I have talked to; at this time, you couldn't pay me enough to give a non-adjuvanted vaccine to a cat. Perhaps as the research continues, this will change but for now - everyone, please stay away from these vaccines.

I hope that answers your questions.