View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Becoming a dog trainer - good dog trainers

Hi. I am a dog trainer and also know many trainers, to be honest with you, I would not recommend going to "dog trainers" school. I do not like these courses because I have seen far too many people come out of them who do not know how to train dogs, I have met many who actually give out dangerous advice to people due to that lack of knowledge. These schools often teach a person only one method of training but there are many ways to train.... there is far too much to training it can't be learned in a few weeks (some schools are only a few days). The people that teach there are just as ill-experienced. The best way to become a qualified trainer is to get a dog and train it, go to dog shows and title it in obedience, tracking, agility etc. Title your dogs all the way (not just beginner level titles I mean advanced). I really feel that if you don't compete in obedience you have no business running classes. Title your dogs then ask a qualified trainer (another competitor) if you can audit their classes to learn more, work with shelter dogs to gain experience. Join professional organizations such as the Association of Pet Dog Trainers , go to seminars by trainers like Terri Arnold , Connie Cleveland..... it takes years to become qualified, please do not put the public at risk by giving out unqualified advice. Good luck to you, please let me know if you have any questions.

I forgot to mention earlier. You should also be reading a ton of books. Pick up books by authors like Terri Arnold (you can get her books on her website they are called Steppin Up to Sucess), Ian Dunbar, Karen Pryor (Don't Shoot the Dog), Jean Donaldson (she is a trainer in Montreal... has written some great books including The Culture Clash etc.), Joni Andersen (The Latchkey Dog). Read everything you can get your hands on.