View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinsHope View Post
What kind of GI issues do they have?
He has colitis (used to be sever, now seems 99% under control) and some sort of weird acid reflux type thing that no vet seems to be able to properly diagnose.

Quote:
Essentially if they do, vegetables are even more less desirable then, as they contain too much roughage, are high in sugar which can also act as irritants.
When I have eliminated veggies (which are mostly just greens, no carrots, ect.) I've never been able to get decent stool, which is why I end up going back to including a small amount.

Quote:
The bone you can always eliminate entirely and serve calcium powder or pills, but ground meat is not any better digested than whole meat. That is a myth entirely just so you know.
I don't think there is any advantage to grinding up the meat, it's only the bone that I'm interested in grinding. He seems to do best on his calcium coming from about 50% bone and 50% eggshell.

Quote:
We've had rescues here with entirely rotted out mouths, Chrone's disease, sloppy bowel syndrome, bacteria laden gut, even ulcerated, and we've never had to grind our food and the worse case scenario we've scene did improve.
It took quite a while, (almost a year), but it did improve to the point she was literally perfect. Of course we were not able to replace the teeth or jaw parts, but she did go on to become extremely healthy.

We have one here now with only 4 teeth left in her mouth and I can give her a large piece of meat. It takes her time, which it should, but she manages very well to rip, tear and chew. Bone included.

Best of luck to you.
I appreciate the suggestions, I'm always open to new things, so please, if you have more input I'm totally into reading.