View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM

No question is dumb. Dumb is when you have a question but don't ask it due to believing the risk of ridicule is more important than finding valuable information.

I am not a personal fan of Nutrience. Here is my recommendation:

Go with a grain-free, gluten-free, soy-free, render-free, artificial-preservative-free food. Protein should be 25-30% and fat 10% less than protein, give or take. Omega values aren't as important as the ratio, which should be 2:1 to 5:1, NOT 10 times as much O6 as O3 like you'll find in the cheaper brands. Go Canadian (safety of ingredients and reliable supply in case of border issues).

Many of these foods also have various added fruits and vegetables and herbs and omega fatty acids, but these additives will not make a low quality food high quality. Putting gravy on a flake of hay won't turn it into a baked potato.

In Edmonton, you will find the best selection at little neighbourhood supply stores, as well as the G&E, not usually at the major chain pet stores. You will also find better advice at smaller stores where the owners and a couple longterm employees take the time to get to know what is on their shelves, rather than relying on manufacturer visits and teenagers on their first job.

Expect to pay much more for your new food than you are currently paying for the Nutrience. First, you have a small dog who doesn't eat much anyway. Second, given a diet which suits your dog's digestive system better will save you vet visits.

The best treat would be the one of the same flavour and brand to the regular food you give. Also, if you are feeding meals, which you should, rather than offering a bowl of food available at all times, the right food itself can be used as nice-sized training treats.

I have small dogs and one medium, and am feeding Now! (petcurean) with excellent success all around, including my sensitive stomach "big" dog.