View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
I take her cats and mine to the vets, not all at the same place. This place has a fairly new vet working there, and he said he would not clean the cats teeth without a shot. I said I thought the cat was too old, and that he never leaves the living room/kitchen/bedroom. I got the lecture about a bat could get in the house and bite him and blah, blah, blah. (This same place cleaned my cats teeth last year, and she had no shots, but it was with another vet that works there.) He told me that if something went wrong they could give him Benedryl or a steroid shot, but in my opinion it just isn't worth putting an old cat with a slight heart murmer through it. Its a law that dogs have shots, but not cats.
Wow... I would definitely be finding another vet. Especially since he is thinking it's accpetable practice to give the shot then have Benadryl and steroids handy in case something goes wrong!
I would hope he knows those are only "bandaids" on a bigger issue if a reaction occurs. But then again, if he does know that and is still insisting on it, I would have to assume he's in it for the money and not the welfare of the animal. Either way, it's unacceptable. Our Nookie will struggle for the rest of his life, no matter how long or short that is, due to a reaction to vaccines as a baby. It infuriates me to see vets like this.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012