View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. Love4himies: were medical causes ruled out with Puddles's elevated calcium? It was only related to food?

Kasey is and has been eating Wellness Complete Health Chicken dry food. He has been on this since Jan/Feb 2010. Prior to that he was on Merrick Before Grain Chicken flavour dry food.

We also have a two year old spayed female, Roxie. We got them both at the same time. She is also on the Wellness dry but I have got her eating approx half her daily intake from Wellness canned, usually Chicken and Turkey varieties. As I have been leaving food out for Kasey, she has probably been getting a bit more dry than normal.

I have tried to get Kasey to eat some canned but he will not come within 2 inches of canned food. I have tried different brands and types and he will have nothing to do with it. I have put itty bitty bits in with his food, they are left in his bowl, I have left it out with his food, I have tried it instead of his food when he was really hungry. He is a stubborn one, I am dedicated to trying to get him to eat canned but right now I just want him to eat.

When we got them Roxie had bloody diarrhea from one week after we got them until approx May 2010. We discovered Clostridium bacteria and we did a round of Metronidazole. Kasey did have some diarrhea and gas as well but not as bad as Roxie. They both cleared up after the Metronidazole and there have been no poop issues since.

Looking back I can see a gradual progression in his eating:

- initially feeding 4 - 1oz servings per day - morning, noon, dinnertime, before bed - would eat each feeding all at once and would let me know when he was hungry - usually well before time for next meal
May/June - stopped eating noon meal - figured he was starting to settle down with us and didn't need as much food
June/July/Aug - would eat all of morning meal - picky at night - didn't usually eat all of his night meal - during heat of summer thought it was because it was hot, not losing weight - also checked at vet for tooth/gum issues
Sept/Oct - now picky morning and night - will eat but very few pieces at a time - does not bug for food - elevated calcium discovered

He has always drank water well and still continues to. The vet did mention Vitamin D toxicity but I could not think of anything else he may have eaten/drank. I only have one plant in my house, a Christmas cactus and it is in a spare bedroom that they don't usually have access to.

Thanks for any information.

Karen