Thread: How to Deal
View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:54 AM
banned user

How to Deal

As some of you know, I've posted before about a stray cat here and there... that we have a few running around the neighborhood.
Well for the past two nights the motion light in the back yard has been going on and tonight after it went on I stayed by the door and watched and sure enough, up creeps a cat. It took me by surprise because the cat looked just like my Sneaky, but then I noticed that it didn't have a tail (at all) I wanted to bring it in but I unlocked the door and it was gone in a flash. I kinda figured it was looking for food so I got a bowl and put it outside. The few steps I took outside (I had no shoes on) my feet were numb, it was so cold. I went back in and got warm and then it hit me, I almost couldn't control it. I was so upset that this poor cat was outside and probably freezing, god knows what had happened to it already and now having to suffer the winter alone.
I wanted to do something but i didn't know what, I still don't. After a few minutes I checked at the door again and all of the food was gone except a few pieces on the ground. Of course this didn't help matters, I mean I knew it was hungry and for a split second I felt good about feeding it, but then I got on to thinking of how hungry this poor thing actually was. I scanned the yard and it was still there but not even close to the doorstep. I opened the door and it didn't move but then I started talking to it and it left again. I filled the dish again and the light didn't go back on yet.
I still feel silly though, getting that upset over this. I feel so sorry for this cat and it doesn't want anything to do with me.... not that I blame it, who knows what happened to it. I keep thinking about it's tail.
How do you all cope with this? I'm sure you see strays all the time right? What do you do about it?
I swear I hugged all my cats ten times tonight, they probably hate me by now.
I'm sorry this was so long and I rambled.
For now I am going to call THS in my town and see if they have any of those traps. I'd like to see this kitty be warm and full for Christmas at least. But I don't know what else to do for it, or how to deal with it...